So where are my fellow Breaking Bad fanatics at, BITCH? Haha, I’m sure all of you, like myself are upset that our Sundays aren’t going to be filled with meth-y goodness, but I have to say that Breaking Bad was by far one of the most fulfilling television series I have ever watched. So in honor of the series finale a few weeks ago I made these bad boys. They are pretty self-explanatory, I wanted to obviously incorporate the blue meth, but not in the traditional way that I saw others make. Last minute I decided to run out to go pick up little plastic ‘dime bags’ to fill and place on top of the cupcakes instead. My mother was a bit curious when I showed up at home with 100 little dime sacks but when I told her what the purpose was for she thought the idea was brilliant. Although a bit taboo, these cupcakes turned out as wonderful as I hoped, and I hope that you guys enjoy them too!
Blue (Raspberry) Meth Cupcakes
Yields: 24 cupcakes
- 2+1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 cup milk, room temperature
- 6 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1+3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1+1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature
- One Serving of my Buttercream Frosting
Blue (Raspberry) Meth:
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tsp raspberry flavoring extract
- 1 drop blue food coloring
Special Supplies Needed:
- Small, clear plastic baggies
- Candy Thermometer
- Aluminum foil
- Blue food coloring
- Pastry bags
- 1M frosting tip
- Line baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, water, and corn syrup over medium heat. Stir the mixture until the sugar dissolves. Stir the mixture until the sugar dissolves. Bring the mixture to a boil and stop stirring. Wet a pastry brush and use it to brush down the sides of the saucepan with water. Insert candy thermometer.
- Cook the mixture until the temperature reaches 285 to 290 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove the pan from the heat and remove the candy thermometer. Let the mixture stand until all of the bubbles have stopped forming at the top of the surface. Add your food coloring and stir.
- Pour the mixture onto the baking sheet. Let the candy cool to room temperature.
- Once the candy has cooled, use the back of a spoon to break up the candy.
- Place pieces of the Blue ‘Meth’ in small clear plastic baggies.
For the Cupcakes:
- Heat oven to 350°F. Prepare cupcakes pans with liners.
- Pour milk, egg whites, and vanilla extract into medium bowl and mix with a fork until blended.
- Mix cake flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in bowl of electric mixer at slow speed. Add butter, cut into tablespoons, and continue to beat on low for 1-2 minutes.
- Add half of milk mixture to flour mixture and beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Add remaining half and beat for another minute.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared cupcake pans.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Follow Buttercream Recipe
- Frost cupcakes using a pastry bag equipped with a 1M frosting tip.