This pie has to be the easiest and one of the tastiest recipes I’ve come across while baking. For Father’s Day, I asked my pops what baked delight I could make for him that would tickle his fancy. I did plea to him to choose a baked good that I have not yet put on my blog (because I knew he was going to request my Coconut-Lime Cupcakes), and I want to start expanding my portfolio with other goods. A fair compromise was made when I suggested a key lime pie. It was a huge success, as I have made it three times already just in the past 2 weeks! I did try my hardest to find key limes to make this truly an authentic key lime pie. When I did finally come across them in the grocery store not only were they incredibly expensive (and small as I already knew) they didn’t look nearly as rich in color as the limes did, so I figured using just regular limes would be a better option. Although key limes offer a slightly different taste and are more aromatic than normal limes, this option will still result in a delicious and tasteful pie, I can promise you that.
When it comes to citrus flavored desserts I’m a fan of tart rather than sweet. This pie will give you that complete satisfaction without making you pucker up. The filling is silky smooth while the graham cracker crust offers a crunchier and modestly sweet counterpart. This is a great option to bring over to your next barbecue to impress all those around you with this summeresque dessert!
Key Lime Pie
Yields: 8 servings
- 1+1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup (8 oz) key lime or lime juice (1 lime yields about 1 oz of juice)
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 2 – 14oz cans sweetened condensed milk
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a bowl, combine graham crackers crumbs, sugar and melted butter. Press mixture into a 9-inch pie pan and bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool fully to room temperature before filling.
- Lower oven temperature to 325°F.
- In a separate bowl, combine lime juice, zest, condensed milk and eggs. Whisk until fully blended and pour mixture into cooled pie shell. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes and allow to chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.