Although the breezy Long Island weather suggests autumn is already here, every attempt to prolong my summer has been made. My summer dresses are still the highlight of my wardrobe and sandals will be worn until my toes are frost-bitten! So while contemplating which recipe to pull from my books, I decided to go with my two favorite summer flavors; coconut and lime.
I stumbled across this recipe in a magazine while at the doctor’s office and with first glance of its picture, I quickly stashed said magazine in my bag. After first making this cupcake, it quickly became a household favorite. The idea of coconut and lime together as one flavor combination is simply perfection. But, the cupcake was way too dense with the light whipped cream counterpart. With some experimentation, my new and improved recipe is the best balance of textures and flavors. This simplistic white cake batter, spiked up with fresh lime is a beautiful compliment to the cloud like frosting. The coconut topping adds a nice sweetness to this not-so-sweet cupcake and the wedge of lime is not only a great decoration, but should be squeezed atop for another zing of flavor!
Yields: 12 Cupcakes
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lime peel
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1+1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1+3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon grate lime peel
- 1 cup finely shredded coconut
- fresh lime zest
- 12 small lime wedges
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 12-cup cupcake pan or line with baking cups. In large bowl, beat butter and sugar at medium speed (5-6 minutes) or until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then mix in 1 tablespoon lime peel, 1 teaspoon lime juice, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour and baking powder, add to creamed mixture and mix well. Finally stir in the milk until the batter is smooth and glossy.
- Bake cupcakes for 20-25 minutes. Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes. Then remove cupcakes from pan and cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat all frosting ingredients at medium speed until stiff peaks form (to know if stiff peaks have formed, lift up beaters-peaks should stand straight up). Spread each cupcake with a generous amount of frosting; sprinkle with coconut and grate fresh lemon zest on top. Cut up lime wedges and place on top of cupcake.
Refrigerate until ready to serve.
When beating whip cream, it’s best to do so when cream and bowl are cold. So prior to beating the cream, place bowl and whisk in the freezer and take the cream out right before you’re ready to use it.